Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Whats a Guy gotta do.......?

Economic Stimulus Package????? Why isn't our economy "Stimulated"???? Where are the overflow of jobs that this was supposed to create? What is different now than 4 years ago? Okay, there I said it, I'm DONE! Never will I talk about choices made by our government or anything else concerning politics on this blog EVER AGAIN!!!!! But I had to get my "shot" in, because I am still jobless and the economy is still in terrible condition. I am sick and tired of applying for jobs every day all day and all week just to get the same response, "We are currently not hiring" or "The position has been filled" or my recent favorite, from a very prominent resort Director "We have that job posting still up? I thought we canceled that position last year." REALLY?!?!?!?!? Whats a guy gotta do to get hired around here?!?!

I have applied over and over to many different sectors of the travel industry only to be rejected again, and again.....and again. I understand that the economy is slowly turning around, well then why is there not an increase in travel? Why can someone with a resume like mine not even receive an ENTRY level position? While I am still unable to find a career choice, I know have a new outlook on my unsuccessful job search. After a recent trip to the coast of California I found my next destination. Yes, correct, like 93% of Arizona's youth, I will hope and pray and convince myself that I can be successful in Southern California.

Recently I made a trip to Orange County to visit my aunt, and while my girlfriend and I were there we went to visit some of the local Beach Cities like Laguna and Newport. Now of course everyone would love to move to either of these two towns, they are beautiful and make you feel like you are in paradise. However while I was there I noticed all the tourists in the area. Both of these places were huge tourism destinations, and for obvious reasons. I began researching jobs in the area and while I can't give away too many of my secrets it looks hopeful that in the future I will be somewhere in Southern California ENJOYING what I do which is my biggest dream!

In my recent supervisor/intern interview my supervisor encouraged me to ask questions, be proactive, and never settle. I believe that is what stuck with me the most on how to be a good employee here at the CVB, and while I am not planning on staying within this type of field I believe those are good lessons to take with you when trying to achieve greatness. The interview laid out a little more structure with what I am supposed to accomplish from this internship, and opened my eyes more to the "sales world". At my old job it was more script and customer service, we followed strict scripts and had to always assist hotel guests. Here within a sales team, you have more freedom to do what you need to do to finish a task. I am going to take the skills that I have developed here during this internship and am going to find a successful career on the west coast. No more being hesitant, and no more worrying about the future, its time for me to MAKE MY OWN FUTURE. I encourage all of you to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment